Continuous vaccination of priority groups urged amid Omicron threat
In anticipation of a surge in Coronavirus disease 2019 (covid-19) cases due to the Omicron variant, City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office chief Antonette Anaban is urging the continuous vaccination of priority groups in the Summer Capital.
She made the appeal in her update report on the city’s contingency plan on Covid-19 Omicron variant during the regular management committee meeting with local officials, January 4, led by Mayor Benjamin Magalong (via zoom) at Baguio Convention Center.
The city should target 100 percent primary series and booster vaccination, especially those belonging to the A1 (health workers and other frontliners), A2 (senior citizens), and A3 (with comorbidities) groups, Anaban said.
She also pointed out the importance of ensuring that the city has an adequate supply of vaccines for the purpose.
In terms of city-wide mass, social or religious gatherings, event coordinators of private activities are required to secure clearances from the City Mayor’s Office and Health Service Office and from concerned barangay officials for barangay level gatherings.
Anaban said that should the city reach Alert Level 3, attendees to gatherings must only be those who are fully vaccinated and that vulnerable groups like senior citizens, those with underlying conditions, pregnant regardless of vaccination status and unvaccinated children below 12 years old, are restricted to their homes.
The contingency plan’s goals, Anaban said, are to suppress transmission of the virus; reduce exposure; protect the vulnerable; and reduce the mortality and morbidity from all causes and save lives.
Started in November of last year, the plan is also in line with the National Action Plan’s Prevent-Detect-Isolate-Treat-Reintegrate (PDITR) strategy, she added. – Gaby B. Keith